- Achilles' heel
- n. a person's weak or vulnerable point.
Etymology: L Achilles f. Gk Akhilleus, a hero in the Iliad, invulnerable except in the heel
* * *nouna seemingly small but actual mortal weakness
* * *nweakness, weak point, weak spot, vulnerable point, fault, failing, imperfectionCOLLOQ. chink in your armour
* * *▶ noun WEAK SPOT, weak point, weakness, soft underbelly, shortcoming, failing, imperfection, flaw, defect, chink in one's armour.strength.
* * *\\əˈkilēzˈh-\ nounUsage: usually capitalized AEtymology: so called from the story that Achilles was invulnerable except in the heel: a vulnerable point
* * *Achilles' heel see under ↑Achillean• • •Main Entry: ↑heel
* * *Achilles’ heel UK [əˌkɪliːz ˈhiːl] US [əˈkɪliz ˌhil] noun [singular]a weak feature that someone or something has that could cause failure or could be attacked
* * *Achilles' heel,a weak point; vulnerable place: »
Despite chronic shortages of some foods, farm production cannot be considered the Achilles' heel of Russia's economy (Wall Street Journal).
* * *Achilles' heelsee heel n.1
Useful english dictionary. 2012.